Monday, November 25, 2013

Almost Thanksgiving

I can't believe that Thanksgiving is almost here already. We leave for Arizona the day after tomorrow, and I know I'll take a ton of pictures while we're there, so I'd better get one last post done about what we've been up to.

One cool thing I'm excited about is that Bud was asked to join the recreational climbing team at the climbing gym. The coach took notice of him and so they offered Bud a chance to have a scholarship and climb with them. Bud's so happy that being on the team means he gets to climb a lot more. Awesome. I'm seriously so happy for him.

We are definitely beginning to experience the cooler fall weather, but there have been enough semi-warm days over the last few weeks for us to enjoy. One of Edith's new pleasures has been "parking" her trike and walking the curb back and forth while I stand there. She does it for ages. Good thing I like her so much. So goes living life on toddler time..


This particular day was even warm enough to sit in our shirt-sleeves after our long excursion. It was nice to sit and chat, the sun a warm caress on our skin. So relaxing.


We fit in another trip to the park, too. There was a boy there who was a huge invader of personal space, though, so Edith and I didn't stay quite as long as we might have otherwise. I mean, this kid was annoying! Edith came to stand next to me to get away from him, and the little boy actually squeezed his way in to stand between us! The crazy thing is that his mom didn't tell him not to do it. She would just laugh at how "cute" he was and say, "He can be a little intense." Um, yeah. At least Edith was able to escape to the swings for a minute. Until the boy tried to get too close again and I had to yank Edith's swing to a halt to avoid braining him, that is. So, we left. Sorry for the crazy play date, Edith.


I have traced Edith's hand about a gazillion times over the past few weeks so she can make turkeys for Thanksgiving. I left her coloring at the kitchen table the other day while I took the boys to school and Rophone was showering. When I walked back in the door she exclaimed, "I made my own turkey! All by myself!" And then she added on with some embarrassment, "It's really sloppy, though." I added the details and assured her that her turkey was the best one yet. And, of course, I praised her on her use of the word 'sloppy'. Good work, Edith!


I went to pull a roll of toilet paper out of the last of our jumbo pack the other day and was met with something unexpected. Kinda like the prize in a box of cereal. Or, as one of my friends suggested, evidence of child labor law violations.


The coolest thing happened the other day! Waaay cooler than the watch in the toilet paper. Edith drew her very first person! I love it. I know she would have added the arms if I mentioned it, but I didn't want to prompt her. I think she's the only one of my kids to draw their first person with an actual body, rather than just legs protruding from a headbody. It's so good!


Even though the temperatures are starting to dip, it feels so good to get out in the crisp air to go for a tricycle ride. It was fun to have Big out there with us a few times last week. He and Edith "raced" a few times and it was so cute to see how fast Edith's little legs could go. They had a blast.




On Saturday, while Pen was watching her friends dance in The Nutcracker (and feeling jealous), Rophone surprised the rest of us by taking us out for a little sweet treat. I couldn't resist taking this photo while he was letting me know they have gluten free options (I took some to Pen). I'm still trying to get used to his Movember mustache and figured it needed to be documented. Stellar. Thanks for the fun family treat, Rophone!


Phew! Feels so good to be caught up. Hope you all have a fantastic Thanksgiving like we're planning on doing! 

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh, so much good stuff. Except the annoying boy at the park and his equally annoying and enabling mother. UG. But I think it's great Bud gets to climb more and be in that group. Super cool!!! Have a great time in AZ. Be warm for me. It's supposed to get "up to" 27 here today. *rolling eyes*

Sue said...

So so so so awesome that Bud gets to climb more! Love it! Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!