Sunday, October 18, 2009

Elevensies!

A few weeks ago, Pen celebrated her 11th birthday. Eleven! It's so hard to believe. We had a quiet family party on her birthday, with plans to have a friend party a week later. After her requested birthday dinner of pot pie was consumed, she opened her presents.





After presents, of course, came the cake. I kept it simple with a white cake frosted with chocolate pudding, since I knew I would be making something again for Pen's friend party the next week.




We celebrated Pen's birthday with friends by doing something she's been wanting to do for ages-- ever since her last friend party. Ice skating!


To make things easy at the rink, I borrowed an idea from Bakerella and made some cake pops. Not having to worry about remembering everything that goes along with serving birthday cake was great. 




I just took the cake pops to the rink standing upright in a block of styrofoam. That way, whenever the girls felt like having one they could just step off the ice and pop one in their mouths. The pops, along with the hot chocolate catered by the rink, were the perfect skating party treats.


Pen had a fabulous time skating. At first, a little rusty, she had to hang along the wall.



But after a break for some cake pops and hot chocolate...




... she was ready to venture out into the middle of the ice.




Happy Birthday, Pen!


7 comments:

SassyMama said...

Happy B-day, Pen!

You, my dear are most creative. I am filing the cake pops away in the recesses of my brain for future use. Ummm... and LQ... having an 11 year old... doesn't that officially make you old?:)

The Laundry Queen said...

Thanks, Sassy! Although, as I am not the one who originally came up with the idea for cake pops, I wouldn't call myself most creative. Just a good copycat. ; )

You're right that having an 11 year old does officially make me old. The only thing that makes me feel okay with it is the fact that you're older. ; )

janeannechovy said...

Looks like an awesome time. Happy Birthday, Pen (did you get my present?)!

The Laundry Queen said...

Yes, she got your gift, JA! She's been wanting to email you and thank you for it, but she's grounded from email at the moment. She's also grounded from your present, too, so hasn't been able to enjoy it yet. As soon as she turns in the work that she's behind on...

Jennifer said...

Oh, great pictures! Happy Birthday! I love the cake pops, too! And I can appreciate all the "convenient" aspects of them too, aside from the adorableness. So fun!!

Tamsen said...

I've been anticipating this post! Glad things went well with the party. Kate is so cute and grown-up. I love all of her accessories. I tried cake "balls" instead of "pops" (no sticks). Rob and the boys liked them...after making them I couldn't bring myself to eat them for some reason. That's a good thing I guess.

Sappy said...

sorry i missed it :(