Saturday, September 5, 2015

Summer's End

I know it isn't really the end of summer. It drives Bud a little nuts when I say it, since it doesn't end until September. I guess what I should really say is the end of summer break. We got back from our trip to the City of Parks only a few days before the start of the school year. Just enough time to do laundry, buy some school supplies, and make sure that backpacks were ready to go. 

When I went to pick the garden a few days before school started, I noticed the sunflowers were huge and really cool looking. I decided to try out the macro setting on my phone camera app to see what I could capture. Pretty neat, I think. 



A few days before school started, I got a call from Rophone at work, asking me to come get him and to bring Edith along because he had a surprise for her. I drove around the corner and saw Rophone standing on the curb next to a ginormous stuffed horse! Boy, was it a surprise to me, too! 



The daughter of one of Rophone's coworkers was re-doing her bedroom to be more suited to her age (13), and she decided it was finally time to get rid of her favorite horse. She didn't just want to take it to DI and not know its fate, but her dad said he thought he knew a girl who would really love it. He was right. Edith adores her knew horsey, Lili. 

The kids started school on Wednesday, August 19th. I know it seems early, but it does mean that we get out before Memorial Day. 

Big, super stoked to be starting 3rd grade:



Bud, grinning ear-to-ear at the thought of starting 5th:



Ginger, kind of half awake and maybe just a wee bit nervous to be a freshman (she's gonna rock high school):



Pen wasn't thrilled with her early-morning shot, so I took this one that evening while shooting her headshot for journalism staff:


Much better, I agree. I can't wait to see what this school year brings. I know they'll all do well and have a ton of fun. 

The weekend after school started, I got a visit from a dear friend from high school and her son. I love our annual get-togethers. I'm so glad we just decided to meet at my house this year-- it really gave us a nice chance to chat. 

It cracked me up when she got roped into reading this book to the kids:



We had to take a few selfies, of course, to document it all.



So much fun to have a visit from a friend! She is truly beautiful inside and out. I can't wait until next year's visit. Hopefully we'll be able to swing a visit sooner than that. 

1 comment:

Sue said...

I can't believe how old your kids are getting, I mean a senior and a freshman, what?! I was just looking at the pictures of when I took the girls with me after Bud was born!