Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Family

Last week ended up being a really great one. Ginger, the poor girl, was home from school the whole week with a nasty cold (which I am now trying to ignore that I have), and the boys missed school on Friday with it, but some really great things happened. I got to spend a bunch of time with my family.

My nephew went into the MTC for his mission last Wednesday, so we got together with him, my brother, Art and her family, and my mom for dinner on Tuesday night. It was fun to be together, and Art spent the night so we were able to play some games. It was so much fun that I took a picture of my sister's hand and my brother's elbow. You can tell what a good time we were having.


My brother and my mom came over to my house on Wednesday night after dinner so we could play more games again. It was fun to be able to spend time together two nights in a row, and I realized that I don't get much opportunity to spend time with my siblings in smaller groups. It's nice. Although, I will admit that I was a little creeped out by the fact that my brother was dressed entirely in my dad's clothing and he and my mom were carrying and sipping from matching water bottles. But, I guess when you leave your whole suitcase at home you do what you can. 

After my brother left, my sister, Opera, came into town for a few days. You probably can't guess what we did. 


The game playing lasted pretty much all day, with a few breaks for food and some good talks. 


It was pretty much Bud's dream day, I think. This is the face of a kid that got to play Skip-Bo and six (yes, 6!) games of Clue. Plus, he just loves spending time with his aunts. (I do, too, Bud)


And I love the fact that getting together multiple times in one week caused Edith to really begin to get into playing with her twin boybie cousins. I can't wait to see how their friendships develop. 

Ever since my dad died I have really begun to savor the time I get to spend with my family. I want to make the most of each visit, taking time to strengthen our relationships and discover who we have become in our adult lives. I think so often we get stuck in viewing our family members how they were when we all lived under one roof, before spouses, kids, and experiences molded and shaped us into who we are today. Each of us are even different than we were a few years ago. 

I am trying to find what it is about my siblings and mother that I really love and appreciate, hoping that it will be an example to my kids to try to do the same. I love my family and I love being with them. I really do. 

Ooooh! I'm so excited for our sisters/sisters-in-law/mother getaway in a few weeks! I can hardly contain myself!

4 comments:

patti's place said...

Love it and you! Happy Valentines!

janeannechovy said...

Wait--he forgot his whole suitcase?!? Classic.

I'm looking forward to the trip too!

Jennifer said...

Love, love, love!!!! Great post. Fun times, too!

Tamsen said...

I LOVE this post for so many reasons! (And totally laughed out loud about the forgotten suitcase!)See you in a couple of weeks :)