Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Spring Break Stay-cation: Part Two

Friday morning was a bit rainy, so it seemed like the perfect time to go to the little dinosaur museum at our local university that we had been wanting to check out. I mean, with Big's love of dinosaurs it really is a must. The older girls couldn't be convinced that it was somewhere they would enjoy, however, so we headed out with just the 3 youngest in tow. 

I wasn't sure what to expect when we pulled up outside the building and kept my fingers crossed that the trip wouldn't bore the kids and be a bust. The museum was small but had plenty of stuff to hold our interest (without being overwhelming). It ended up being so much fun. No complaints of boredom or hunger since we weren't there for very long. A perfect little morning activity. 


I had Big and Edith lie down next to the humerus (upper arm bone) of the Brachiosaurus that was on display.


Pretty huge, huh? The kids had Rophone lie down next and he and the bone were about the same length (6' 3"-ish). We all thought that was cool.

Big and Edith almost got eaten a few times while we were there. I'm thinking that if giant crocodiles were still around there would be fewer people living in Florida. Well, and just fewer people alive in general. 


I'm so glad we finally checked out this little dinosaur museum (after driving by it about a gazillion times). We'll definitely be back.


The kids were so good during our museum jaunt that we decided to take them for ice cream. It is Spring Break, after all. A time to celebrate by doing special things. Plus, we knew it would make the party-pooper older girls jealous and sad they didn't come. A bonus. Ha! It had cleared up a little by the time we got our ice cream so we got to eat it outside. 


Big declined to have his picture taken. He was busy pretending to be the boss of the worker guys at the worksite next to where we were sitting. As he licked his cone he was  saying, "Put that over there. Perfect." "Wait, what are they doing? I didn't tell them to do that!" Funny.

After lunch we drove to a park a few minutes away. It has cool little rock climbing monoliths and a fun path to walk. I'm definitely going to take the kids back up there to ride bikes. It was nice to be out in the fresh air, all together. No party poopers this time, although it seems like it. None of the photos of Ginger or Big turned out, but they really were there. For real.


After the park we left the kids at home waiting for pizza delivery and headed to the big city to pick up my returning mother and visiting sister from the airport. Not that we were excited to be cutting ourselves loose, or anything. 


We went to a family party and had a lot of fun. I think the kids had an equally (if not better) good time watching a movie and eating pizza without any parental supervision. Partying it up during Spring Break!

The next day we went to the museum at the local university. The kids love to go, although Rophone and I need to visit again with just the two of us so I can really take my time checking out the Burtynsky photos. I'm in love with them. We visited this time specifically to see a piece by Rophone's cousin that will make the museum its home for the next 5 years. Way cool. See?


It's a family history piece-- Rophone's cousin's name is on the top piece of folded rice paper, with her family tree branching out from there. 

It was fun to be at the museum as a family and with my sisters, both Art and Martha, too.


Martha even bought me a new pair of earrings that were on sale in the museum gift shop. Totally awesome.


We had such a good Spring Break. Who says you have to go anywhere to have a great time? I'm glad that we were able to discover and enjoy just a few of the fun things that are right here around us. I can't wait to find more. Thanks for a fun Spring Break, family!

4 comments:

patti's place said...

Like!

Laura said...

Your family is the cutest! And, I love your new earrings!!

The Laundry Queen said...

Thanks, Laura!

Jennifer said...

That is really cool!!! :) I love all this neat stuff. The dino museum is something we've considered doing when we come visit my parents (assuming it's the one I think it is, up on the north end of campus), but never have. I love the art, too. That rice paper sculpture is really neat. What a great spring break!!