Friday, November 14, 2014

Not Just Edith

I'm so excited! This post isn't only about Edith! Well, a lot of it is, but there are other kids in it, too. 

I adore how Edith is such a fashionista-- she loves to put together her own outfit creations. Before we put the Halloween costumes away, she managed to self-style an awesome two-skirt Batgirlwoman outfit. I think it looks awesome. 


Of course we went on another tricycle ride.


While Edith was riding, I tried out the macro setting on my phone camera app. The sidewalk looks so, so cool. The early evening sun created just the perfect lighting. 


I tried it out again to take this cool photo of Big's eye while we were waiting for Pen to come out of school. If only it weren't for that one, errant eyelash. I have such an OCD personality. Ha!


I can't wait to fiddle with the macro setting some more. 

Bud convinced me to walk the kids to the park one day last week. I'm glad he did, because now it's too cold to go. We had such a great time. Big and I even tossed the football back and forth a bit. We need to do that more because I really enjoy it.


I've been trying to remind the kids that they can do fun things together. Without me. I think they forget that sometimes, and I'm trying really hard to make sure they know that I am not the only source of their entertainment and happiness. They need to figure out how to create it for themselves. Anyway, Ginger decided to take my advice and she invited Bud and Edith to make cookies with her. They had a blast. It was so fun to watch and to not have to be involved (except in an advisory capacity).


Edith insisted we get out of the house early to go pick the kids up from school one afternoon, which left us with a bunch of time to kill while we waited. So, while Edith explored around in the car, I took some pictures. 


Out of all of the cute photos I took, I think this next one is actually my favorite. She stopped moving around the car for a minute and this happened:


Ha! Poor, tired zombie-child. I know just how you feel, Edith. The same thing happens to me when I sit for a few. She shook it off and got her second wind, though, posing for this just minutes later.


She's alive! Oh, how I love this girl. Both versions. :)

This week was Red Ribbon Week at the boys' school and Wednesday was crazy hair/mustache day. Bud decided that his everyday curls were crazy enough, but Big let me shave his hair into a horseshoe-head mullet. Rad. I should have buzzed the center shorter to really make it noticeable, but I knew Big wouldn't want his whole head of hair that short later. Anyway, it still looked awesome.


After the boys left for school, Edith told me she felt left out. Not too hard to remedy the situation. 


There was no way I was going to turn her down when Edith asked if she could take some selfies while I was doing dishes. 


So awesome. I figured we might as well make it a complete spa day with a mani pedi. A mani pedi and gettin' your mustache did = best spa day ever! Ha! Edith has really been practicing her wink.


Edith and I weren't sure what we could possibly do with our day yesterday to top our spa day, but then she had a grand idea-- tattoos! She was pretty bummed that I wasn't going to give her real tattoos, but she got over it when I told her I wasn't a very good artist. She was happy with the results, anyway.


While we were doing tattoos, the first snow of the season began to fall. Our little Elsa just had to run out to touch it. 


It's not like we don't get enough snow around here, but for some reason the first snow is exciting every time. When the boys got home they were eager to play in the snow and invited Edith to play, too. It cracked me up how long they stayed outside, playing joyfully in the one inch that had fallen. And the fact that all three were playing together nicely, reminding Edith how to make snow angels and snowballs was priceless. Something wonderful to see take place, and no fights to break up….it's a first-snow miracle. Totally worth the pile of soggy snow clothes. Maybe that's why the first snowfall is so exciting to me every year! 

 We've been having such a good time these past few months. Life really is good.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

You guys do the most fun things!! I love the photos. The macro setting.... wowza. I love the Ginger making cookies with kiddos, too. I need to remind my kids about that, too! They don't need me for everything!