Sunday, July 29, 2012

Seventeen Months with Edith

Seventeen?? Wow! Time is just speeding by, and with the personality Edith has I often have to remind myself that she's only 17 months and not 17 years old. She is confident and smart, and definitely sassy. She is both a sweetheart and a determined diva all in one package. Thank heavens she can speak so well or her tantrums would be monumental, I'm sure. 


Edith really can speak well. She can pretty much say whatever she wants to make her wishes known, and she definitely looks out for her own interests. When the kids are doing something that she thinks she should be involved in she'll holler, "Hey! Heeeey! Heeeey!", getting ever louder until they take notice. And if someone has something that she wants she'll say, "Give it me. Giiive it! Giiiiiiive IT!" And if someone is doing something she doesn't like she'll yell, "No! NO! NOOOOO! Don't!!!". Yeah. Determined diva.


Edith also lets her wishes be known a little less forcefully at times (thank goodness). Like when she wanted to go somewhere with Rophone the other day and I told her she had to ask him if she could tag along. She walked up to him and asked, "Me go you?", pointing first to herself and then to him. Luckily Rophone answered in the affirmative so we avoided that escalating screaming method she employs to try to achieve what she desires. And then, tonight, when she dropped a piece of apple on the floor as she was eating she got my attention by saying my name and then pointed out the runaway slice "Mommy. Drop." Love that talking, Edith.


I make it sound like Edith screams a lot and is just generally ornery, but that's not true. She also continues to give the best hugs and kisses around and loves to snuggle.




It's fun to watch Edith be a very loving Mommy to her baby doll, although her baby is a poop machine, apparently. Edith walks up to me with her baby doll, saying with some distress, "Poopy. Baby poopy. Poopy. Baby poopy." She exhibits great concern until I perform a quick pretend-diaper change. Luckily for the baby that her Edith-mommy knows first hand how yucky it is to wear a poopy diaper and so demands immediate attention be paid. Way to be empathetic, Edith. Little did I know I'd be doing double diaper duty, though.


Edith's favorite toys continue to be those she sleeps with-- her Bummy and her Beemy. I love that she calls her bunny and binky by those names, and I kind of hope she always does because it's so darn cute. She also likes to play construction with Big, as long as she gets to have the worker guys call each other 'Honey'. It's awesome.




I think that part of why Edith seems so much older to me is that her hair is getting long. Long enough to do some cute hairdos..



...and long enough to get a little crazy. Crazy = Older, right?




Another thing that makes me feel like Edith is older than her years is that she won't really let me read to her anymore. She prefers to snuggle up next to me or one of the kids with her own book (usually a chapter book) to read by herself. If I try to grab the book, thinking she wants me to read it to her, she snatches it back while giving me a dirty look. So different from many of my other kids-- instead of having to beg for a break from reading to her, I have to beg her to give me a chance to read. I sure do get a lot of cute photos when she's snuggling up to others, though.



Edith still loves to sing, and is happiest when I'll sing with her. Luckily we don't have a shortage of microphones around here, since singing into one is a must. The silver and black one with the blue stripe is her favorite.



Getting Edith fed continues to be a bit of a challenge, although other people's food is often tempting. The grass is always greener (and tastier!) on the other side, don't you know. Catalog shopping while she eats helps, too.




But on those rare occasions when Edith does find her own food appealing, she definitely gets into it. 




Edith loves being silly and brings a lot of joy into our lives. Thank goodness she's around to keep us from getting too serious. 



Thanks for making us happy for the last 17 months, Edith! We love you!


3 comments:

patti's place said...

Love that Edith! She supplies great fodder for your postings.

Sue said...

I love her! So cute. Great pictures!!

Jennifer said...

That last picture is so precious. I know what you mean about the talking--it's SO HELPFUL. Kind of a dumb thing to say, I guess, but I just mean that I know exactly how you feel. Preston was very verbal and could say anything he wanted to, and it was SO GREAT. Edith is a sweetheart! I love all these photos of her and the descriptions of her personality, likes, dislikes. I feel like I know her, having never met her. :)