Thursday, March 7, 2013

Girls, Girls, Girls!

I can hardly believe it actually occurred, but last weekend I had a chance to go away with my mom, sisters, and sister-in-law for a girls' getaway (thanks, Mom!). One of my sisters-in-law came down with an awful stomach bug and had to bow out of the trip (we missed you). Such a bummer. Guess that means we'll just have to do it again so she can have the experience. 

We met up in Los Angeles so we could see my sister, Opera, perform with the LA Opera as they bring opera to the community. I was a tad bit excited to get to go for a weekend with my sisters. We had to get up pretty early for the flight on Friday morning, but I was willing. Oh boy, was I willing.



Flying sure can make a person stiff, though. 


I love my mom. We got to Los Angeles early enough that we were able to go see Opera perform a condensed opera at an elementary school. It was so fun to watch her perform, and it was great to see the enthusiasm of the 4th graders who participated as the chorus and the other students in the audience. What a great way to expose the children of the community to the arts. I know that I never saw an opera growing up.

We had just enough time before the performance started to stop in for some Tasty Thai. I think the 'lady' in the lingerie is headed there for lunch, too. As we were sitting, waiting for our food, my Mom blew her straw wrapper and nailed my sister, Art, in the eye. That's when I knew this trip was going to rock.


Photography wasn't allowed during the performance, so I just stole borrowed a picture from the LA Opera. My sister did such a great job. It was super fun to see.

  

After the performance, Opera (my sister) had to go to a long rehearsal, so the rest of us decided it would be a perfect time to visit LACMA-- the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. The weather was perfect and the art was varied and interesting. Can't get much better than that.


This is my mom as art. I'm going to call it 'Trapped'.


The next three were, hands down, my favorite installations at the museum. Guess I just like the big stuff.


I love how my sister-in-law photo bombed the last one. I'm pretty sure she's doing jazz hands. It's in her blood.

When you have big pieces, you need a big elevator. Hello, over there!


I liked a few of the outdoor installations, too. Really, I just liked the whole thing. LACMA is fantastic.


We ate dinner at the onsite restaurant when we were at LACMA. It was hands down the best meal we had while we were on our trip. The service and the food were incredible. And the chairs were the most comfortable restaurant chairs I have ever parked my tail end in. It made it easy to really sit and enjoy. (No, this is not a paid advertisement.) 


When we got back to the hotel that night we played some games (a must!) and hung out. We even went to bed fairly early, knowing that we had a big day the next day. Saturday was the day of the opera sing-alongs. 

There were two separate sing-along performances and we went to both. Once again, I wasn't allowed to take pictures (thanks, LA Opera)...



It was so much fun to be there. I loved how the little girl next to us and the little 94 year old man sitting in front of us were singing along. You could tell the music was making them happy. Watching my sister made all of us happy (and a little teary). The best part was that after the performances were over we got to take her along with us for the rest of our weekend.

We were starving after the sing-alongs so we headed to find this pizza place Opera wanted to eat at. It was a make-your-own pizza place, set up like a S.ubway. They provide the crust and top it with what you request. It was quick and delicious. I wish they had one here. 



Then we made our way through traffic to The Getty Museum. I must say that the art at The Getty was impressive, although much less varied than what we saw at LACMA the previous day. What I really appreciated about The Getty was the architecture, gardens, and the setting. Beautiful. It was fun to ride the tram up from where we parked.



It was just so great and so fun to be together.



I thought it was so neat that The Getty had a room where patrons could sit and sketch. Of course, we had to get Art on it right away. It was fun to watch her-- I really love that the members of my family have so many talents.



I never thought that I would enjoy going to 2 museums two days in a row, but I had an absolute blast. The company I was with had everything to do with it.



When we got back to the hotel that night we managed to sneak in some hot tub time before playing games. I had forgotten how relaxing it can be. And, I must admit, it was nice to stay up late knowing that I wouldn't have a kid waking me at the crack of dawn to get them breakfast.

In the morning we took our time getting ready and went to church at noon. We all displayed our getting-changed-in-the-car (or parking lot) skills before heading out to spend our last few hours together in Santa Monica. It was a beautiful day. I could totally live in Southern California if there just weren't so many darn people.



I was sad when it was time to go. I'm going to miss hanging out with my sisters. Plus, I have to admit, I love my kids, but the whole not having to see to any of my children's needs for a few days was nice and much needed. And the break from the cold weather was fantastic, too. I can't wait until we do it again. Hopefully next time we'll all be able to make it and then it will be perfect.



Thanks girls, I had a fabulous time!

4 comments:

patti's place said...

It was a fun, fun get away and I know we need to do it again sooner than later.Loved the picture remembrance.

janeannechovy said...

Great pictures of a great weekend--LOVE the photobomb. Totally made me giggle.

Jennifer said...

Oh my gosh, what fun. That is the coolest ever! Great pictures from the museum, especially, and I love the thought of watching your sister perform like that and just being so proud and teary.

Totally with you on So. Ca. Lived in San Diego almost a year during my mission, and lived in SFO Bay Area almost a year when Kevin was in grad school (admittedly not SO. Ca., but still). I absolutely, absolutely loved it. And we would go back in a heartbeat except for: all the stinkin' people, the earthquakes, the fires, and the cost of a house. But it's one of my favorite places ever.

Sue said...

This was a perfect post about our weekend! You took great pictures and I'll have to just post a link to your blog from mine I think. :)

I had so much fun and I can't wait 'til the next one!!!