Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Baby!

Well, I no longer look like I swallowed one of these:


Actually, it still looks like I've swallowed one, but it's sprung a major leak. Giving birth to a 9 pound 7 ounce, 21 inch long baby will do that to a gal.

Yup. After having consistent contractions all weekend, I had our not-so-little, little baby late Sunday night. It was an intense experience, as things progressed a little more quickly at the end than I thought they would. 

When we arrived at the hospital I was dilated to 4 cm, so I thought we had plenty of time for me to receive the necessary antibiotics before the baby's arrival. It was quite leisurely at first-- I spent some time walking around, hung out in the bed for a while, gabbed a bit with the nurses and midwife (pausing to breathe through contractions as I went, of course). 

But then, when I was dilated to a 7, my water broke and everything leapt into overdrive-- I went from being dilated to a 7 to pushing within 5 minutes! It was absolutely insane and crazy. Let's just say there was a lot of swearing, and it was all on my part. After about 15 minutes of pushing, our baby girl made her grand entrance. 

So much for thinking I had plenty of time. 


Our not-so-little, little baby has been having some issues keeping her oxygen levels up and so has been spending a lot of her time in the NICU. But they think her issues are being caused by reflux and have started her on medication to hopefully resolve the issue. Our fingers are crossed that we'll be able to go home soon. 

We sure are glad our baby is here. Now I just need to come up with her blog name...

4 comments:

CarrieMarie said...

Munchkin!

And congrats again! She's a doll, and doesn't look anything like a beach ball. Less stripey... ; )

Happy happy!!

janeannechovy said...

Poor Peanut! The Wizard's reflux started in the hospital, too, leaving him gasping for air every time he was lying on his back. I slept semi-reclined in the rocking chair with him tummy-down on my chest quite a lot, then moved him to his tummy in the inclined co-sleeper. But you went through reflux issues with Bud, too. Hope you get home soon! (then you can post more pictures?)

patti's place said...

I'm sorry about her reflux issues. Hope they get it resolved soon; I'm sure the rest of the family can hardly wait for you to be home! Love you! She's a real keeper, as your Dad would say.

Jennifer said...

Congrats!! Glad she's here. Hope the reflux/breathing issues can all be resolved soon. I can't wait to find out what her blog name is, too. :)