Thursday, July 28, 2011

Five Months with Edith

Edith turned 5 months old yesterday. Crazy! It's so hard to believe how fast time is flying. We have learned a lot about Edith in the past month.


She is well aware of where her toes are now, and is so kind as to often hold on to them while I change her diaper so her feet are out of the way. Her next goal is to figure out how to get them in her mouth.


Edith has started patting herself with her open hand on the tummy, chest and legs. I think she likes the pat-pat sound it makes. It's super cute.




Walks are something that Edith enjoys immensely. She loves to get out of the house, and when I ask her if she wants to go somewhere she always smiles and will sometimes squeal and laugh with delight at the prospect of breaking free of the house.


I feel a bit mean when I eat in front of Edith these days. She looks at our food so longingly, doing practice chews with her mouth. The kid just wants food. I can't wait until we can give it a go in 3 weeks or so.


We just returned from a family reunion, which was Edith's first trip. Her first really long ride in the car. We discovered that she is great for a 10 hour car ride-- it's just too bad that the drive was 13+ hours... Edith did really great even after the 10 hour mark, though, just a bit of moaning.


Edith loved vacation. At first she wasn't so sure about all the family around and all the noise (there were 30 of us, after all), but now that we're home I can tell she misses the attention and all the fun things we got to do.


She has really begun to master the playing with toys thing. Edith can grab what she wants and doesn't let go until she wants to. She is even practicing her fine motor skills with labels and other little flaps she finds on her toys.


There's this look that Edith gives you that makes you feel like she thinks you're nuts. A real look of concern for your mental well-being. (I probably shouldn't be speaking in generalizations, it's most likely just me she's worried about) It always makes me smile. Thanks for worrying about me, Edith! 






Just within the past few days, Edith has started reaching out to people she wants to go to. It isn't a regular occurrence yet, but it will be soon.


Another new thing Edith's been doing is something that my little brother, Rib, used to do. She puts the pad of her thumb against a hard surface, presses down, and then swivels the rest of her hand back and forth above it, fingers extended. Almost like she's squishing a bug under her thumb or something. It's cute.


We have been practicing the binky thing, too. She keeps it in sometimes now. So nice when she's tired and just can't seem to settle down. Although I did catch her sucking her thumb today, so the ultimate victor has yet to be decided. 


I can tell that Edith is going to be a mover and a shaker-- she gets so frustrated at her inability to do more than spin in circles on her tummy that I wonder if she'll be an early walker. She's already trying to do some sort of army crawl, so I guess we'll see.


I swear the girl already seems to have a three word vocabulary-- 'hi', 'yeah', and 'good'. Hmmm... time to correct my little swearing "problem" it seems. 




We love you, Edith! We're glad you came our way!

2 comments:

dmaggiemay said...

She is really darling!

Jennifer said...

Sweet, sweet photos. I love those little things you discover about babies as they grow. Tummy-patting, thumb-swiveling. So cute.