Sunday, July 3, 2011

The Four-Oh

I turned 40 yesterday. I'm really having a bit of a hard time wrapping my mind around it. If I can borrow a quote from my brother, it's like, "I thought I would be older when I was this old, or at least more mature."


I'm not the only one who can't believe it. Bud made me this fabulous card:




All of the other kids made me great cards, too. Big dictated his to Pen.




Looks like Ginger thinks I'm old enough to retire.



Pen's card was lovely, and nice, but she'd kill me if I posted proof that she likes me. So, I'll just show you the exterior.




The girls also made me this cool bandana bag...




... and Pen hand sewed this little wallet and the girls made me a few button rings. Talk about being spoiled!




Friday night we went to dinner at my folks', and my sister and her husband hauled their new twin boybies down for the feast. It was nice, and my mom surprised me with a few dear friends that showed up for dessert. It was a great evening.


Then, on Saturday, Rophone made me steel cut oats with berries for breakfast. Num. After a super good veggie sandwich for lunch, we went to the library as a family. I can't wait to dive into the books I checked out. We had brown rice and black bean burritos for dinner (again, num) and then hung out as a family until the boys went to bed. 


At about 9 pm, my sister (and husband and boybies) and my younger brother and his wife (Rib and Jazz Hands-- they had just pulled in from a long day of driving) came over to hang out with us. We talked, played games, and ate. I am so glad they made the effort to come hang with me on my special day (and I loved the thoughtful little gifts, thanks!).


My 40th was just the way it should be when a newborn is involved-- low-key and quiet. Now, next year when I turn 41? That's when we're going to ditch the kids and do something grand! I can hardly wait! (I love you, kids)


Thanks, family and friends, for making my birthday super!

6 comments:

Pat H. said...

I also have a button ring. Actually, button and rubber band. Made by Lisa years ago, and kept in the original little red plastic box. A treasure!

janeannechovy said...

Wish I could have been there!

The Laundry Queen said...

Me, too, JA!

Jennifer said...

Happy birthday!!! I love all the cards--SO VERY SWEET!! And the gifts were very impressive! Wow. I am having a lot of thoughts about the big 4-0, too. It's so weird. I do love your brother's quote, though. That's perfect. Glad your day was so great.

SassyMama said...

Glad you had a great birthday!
Next year at a spa with me and Lisa...:)

The Laundry Queen said...

I'm all on top of that one, Sassy!