Sunday, April 29, 2012

Fourteen Months with Edith

Edith has been complaining for months that I won't let her do all the things the other kids are doing. We went on a hike and she complained when I wouldn't let her explore with the other kids. When we go to the bread store, she complains that I won't let her run down the sidewalk to the next store and back with Big. I kept explaining to Edith that being able to walk would greatly improve her chances of doing such things, and it seems that she finally listened. 


Yup, we've got a walker on our hands! She set herself to the task of learning to walk (offers of help were not frequently accepted or appreciated, thanks) and a few weeks ago became one of the upright. She's pretty darn happy about her new status and makes sure that every time we go to the bread store she gets to walkrun down to the next store and back. A dream realized, for sure.




Edith continues to add to her vocabulary. She says hundreds of words, I'd say. It's just a guess, really, since I've given up counting. There are just too many to keep track of. I think one of my favorite things Edith does is that when we drive somewhere, every car that passes in the other lane has her saying "Car." So it kind of becomes a chant as we travel, "Car. Car. Car....... Car. Car." And then there will be the random "Cluck." in there, too. I know you're thinking she's seen a chicken but, no, she just has a little trouble with the 'Tr' sound. 


She still loves cars and trucks. When her brothers are playing with them, she absolutely insists that they give her a vehicle, too, so she can play along. Yes, Edith is good at insisting. The cars that can be pulled back and then race away on their own are some of Edith's favorites, but she still needs to master the letting go of the car part. She'll get it.


Pen and Ginger taught Edith how to do the Chicken Dance this month. It's adorable to watch, and I love that Edith will do it in random places. Today she stood on the bench at church, started singing the song and went for it. I can't decide if it's cuter when she flaps her 'wings' or when she wiggles her butt. I call a tie.


Edith's eyes are super blue. This next photo isn't the best, but it's unedited and I think it illustrates my point. 




See? Edith's eyes are super blue. 


Edith loves, loves, loves being outside. Kind of like me, I guess. There is just so much to see and do. Waaay more interesting that being inside, that's for sure.




When a dog walked by while we were outside, Edith about fell over with excitement. She loves dogs, but has a lot of trouble making a barking noise for some reason. As the dog passed, Edith tried and tried to bark at it. She ended up looking like this:




It's quite obvious that she needs some work on her technique.


Edith seems to be developing a sense of wanting things to be in their right place. The other day when she kept tripping on a toy as she was walking through the family room, she bent down and picked it up. I expected her to just toss it to the side, but she actually went and put it away. Awesome. And when I handed her my lens cap to hold as I took her picture, she really wanted to put it back on the camera. 




After several attempts, she gave up and gnawed on it for a minute.




Then she used it as a telephone to call her Dad. "Heyoh!", she said. Way to use your imagination, Edith!




We just love seeing Edith develop new skills and are so excited to see how her personality is emerging. Happy 14 month, Edith! We love you!



3 comments:

Jennifer said...

She is so super cute. I love the pigtails. I *LOVE* her AB CD shirt. That is hilarious!! I want one! :) Love the shot that shows her BLUE eyes, too. My daughter was a "later" walker, and it was just funny to watch her "insist" on certain things and yet absolutely refuse to do anything but crawl. I'm happy for Edith--that she can cruise down the aisles at the store. What a life!

patti's place said...

Love that girl! Great photo shoot!

SassyMama said...

Edith--
Congrats on the whole walking thing. Feel free to come pick up and organize around my house anytime you want...