Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Eighteen Months with Edith

Edith is getting so old! Although, upon being asked, she will still tell you she's a baby. A baby who can pretty much say whatever she wants and insists on doing things by herself. But, still, a baby. 



I think that Edith is the perfect blend of tomboy and girly-girl. She likes to play sports and poke at bugs and loves to dance and wear earrings. She is busy perfecting her soccer throw-ins and kicks, her basketball shot, and her hip swivels. 



Edith is getting better and better at pretending things. We love to watch her play and talk to herself and the characters she's using. Her dad is still her best friend and her preferred playmate, with Big being a close second. Her mom will do in a pinch. When playing, whether it be with construction guys, cows, work trucks, all must call each other 'Honey'. 



I am especially glad that she is getting better at pretending on her own. 



Edith still continues to be a close-sitter. When one of us sits down on the couch to read or take a breather, she climbs on up and then sits and re-sits, sliding down the side of your body (seeming like she's trying to get in your body) until she feels like she's close enough. We have learned to not even waste our time trying to reclaim some space. Edith will just stand up, back into you, and sit and re-sit all over again. 



Yup. A really close-sitter.



As you can see, Edith still prefers to read non-baby books of her own rather than have someone read to her. She is requesting that I read to her a little more often than she was, but she really would rather read a book by herself or out loud to me or to a toy. I love it when Edith reads aloud. She reads with such great inflection.



Edith is always so excited when she wakes up from her nap in the afternoons, because she knows that her dad will be home soon. She loves to sit in the bay window in the living room to watch for his arrival. Plus, she can usually catch sight of a few birdies while we wait. Edith loves birdies.



Being outside is pretty much Edith's favorite place to be. She has been loving this soccer season because of all of the games she gets to go to. And when you tell her you're going to take her to the playground, her face does this:



I took a bunch of pictures of her playing basketball outside yesterday. She was so happy to be outside and playing with her brother. What a perfect thing to do to celebrate turning 18 months old.


(I know this first one is blurry, but I love that she was informing me her ball was wet.)

It was so fun to just watch her and take pictures, but next time we're going to work on getting more arc in her shot...



(Yes, I know this next one is blurry, too, but just look how flat that is!)

To top it all off, she found some ants. What a grand celebration!



Perfect for poking...


...and stomping on.



I don't think Edith's 18 month celebration morning could have been any better. Then, when she got up from her nap, the two of us went on a date to the bread store. She was so happy to be out. So much so that she actually mugged for the camera. 



Seriously. So cute, Edith!

I know there are so many other great things I was going to write about what Edith is up to, but Big got to talking to me about coyotes and my brain filled up with coyote facts instead. Hmmm... let's see....

Oh, yeah. Edith adds an -uh ending to words that end in 'p'. It's super cute. So, 'cup' becomes 'cup-uh', 'lap' becomes 'lap-uh'... you get the idea. I love it. 

Anyway, she's fabulous and wicked-awesome and we love her. Happy 18 month, Edith! I can't wait to spend time with you this year!

2 comments:

Tamsen said...

Such a cutie! I love the squinchy-faced one with the b-ball. These babies keep growing up on us!

Jennifer said...

So sweet. The basketball pictures are all so cute. What a great girl!! I can appreciate what you said about her being a good mix of tomboy and girly-girl. I was just appreciating Ethan yesterday for his well-balanced mix. He's totally into sports, shooting/blasting imaginary guns, jumping off couches, and things like that, and yet he'll walk through Bath & Body Works with me smelling soap and candles saying, "Oh, that's a good one." His father and older brother would NEVER do that. I think kids that are that well-rounded make really good friends.