Tuesday, August 21, 2012

First Day, Not for the First Time

The three older kids started school today. I can't believe it. The summer really flew by, but I must admit we were all ready for school again. Big starts kindergarten next week (he has his testing tomorrow), so I'll have to do a separate post just for him when he heads out. It's going to be a loooong week of waiting, I can tell you that. There's an excavator toy sitting on the kindergarten playground that has his name on it.

I was going to have the kids hold up a whiteboard with their grade on it and what they want to be when they grow up. Yeah. I couldn't even get them to wear their backpacks so they looked like they were going to school. And I didn't even get a picture of Pen until after school, since this morning she was getting ready right up until it was time to head out the door.

I did make an attempt to at least ask what they want to be when they grow up so I could include it in this blog post. But I didn't remember until Bud was in bed, so I'm not sure what his plan is today. Ginger wants to be an undercover FBI agent (a change from the teacher she has wanted to be for years), and Pen wants to be a professional eye-roller, it seems. At least that's what I gathered from her response. She is well on her way.

Here are Bud and Ginger, ready to head out. Bud is in 2nd grade, Ginger in 6th. They were so excited. Really.


I managed to snap a few photos of Pen when she returned at lunch time after her freshmen-only-half-day. 


All of the kids were super happy about how things went today. Bud and Ginger absolutely loved their teachers. After school when Bud and I were talking about his day and he was telling me how nice and funny his teacher is I asked, "So, you think you're going to have a good year, then?" Bud replied, "I'm going to have a great year!" Just what I want to hear. Pen is just so thrilled to be in high school. It is really where she has probably felt she should be since first grade, so I'm glad she's finally there. 

I just love that my kids love school so much. And I'm glad that they are excited for what the next year will bring. I'm excited to see what it brings for them, too. It's always a bit of a roller coaster ride, isn't it? 

Aaaaand heeere we go...

4 comments:

patti's place said...

It's going to be a great year, if you say so...and I'd say so.

Sue said...

You have great kids! Pen will eventually drop all the typical teenage behavior... eventually. :)

Jennifer said...

I have a child who is the same way--ready for high school since he was 6--so I know what you mean. I feel for ya on the difficulty of first day pictures. I'm starting to hate that. But I think you ended up with some nice photos!

CarrieMarie said...

love pen's braid & also very cute earrings!! : )

it's so nice when kids LIKE school, and when the school is able to keep that interest going.