Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Weaned

As of today, Big is officially weaned. I have mixed feelings about it. I know that he's plenty old, and many of you are probably shocked that I am still nursing him, but it's just the way the weaning has come about that bothers me a little.

Many of you know that I have achy joints. I have decided that it is finally time to try and feel better, so have gone to the doctor. The result is that the doctor prescribed me an anti-inflammatory to calm things down a bit. Anyway, that was last week.

Yesterday, I realized that the doctor probably didn't know that I was still nursing when she prescribed the medication, so I called to find out whether I should nurse while taking it, etc. When they called me back today to let me know that I shouldn't take it while nursing, I knew I had a decision to make. 

I decided that now is the time I need to take care of me. I have been putting it off for a long time, but I think if I feel better I'll be a better/happier/more patient mom. I am just bummed that my hand was forced. I would have liked to nurse Big for just a while longer (not until he's 7 or anything!) since we were still having a grand time, and he is my last. 

Looks like we'll have to fill the void with more baseball playing (Big got a hold of a big slotted spoon today and muttered, "Now I need a ball". Anything remotely bat-like becomes a "bap" in his eyes. The other night at my brother's house it was a straw that he found in their toy box). Crazy kid!

1 comment:

Lisa Marie said...

In answer to your "toy purge" question: I think it was a combination of a few things. 1. Rogue was not home. I think he would have been pretty cooperative, but not quite as much as Eli. And I don't think he'll ever notice- "out of sight, out of mind." 2. They HATE cleaning the playroom, so the idea of less to clean was appealing. 3. Pretty much all of the toys I bagged up were ones that they didn't even play with anymore, so that made the "reasoning with them" much easier. 4. They enjoy the idea of "giving" the toys to someone who needs them, rather than "throwing them away" or "getting rid of them". It sounds like you've already used that one, though, so I hope the others will help!